Saturday, September 13, 2014

Week two - 2014

This was our "B" week. 

Jace's bible story was about Jacob and Esau and the trick played on their father. The first day I read it to him, I felt like it might go over his head. I always try to read the story to him, directly from the scriptures, only substituting words when I absolutely have to (in this case, explaining raiment and venison). 

The second day, we cut a brown grocery bag open into a shirt and Jace glued cotton balls onto it for Esau's hair. I had him explain the craft to Jeff later, and he even remembered the names Jacob and Esau. So, some of it must be sinking in. 

For a fun break, we played dress up. I've only recently started putting a box of clothes together for them to dress up in, so the selection is not huge. But it has a couple of tube tops that we use as skirts, some scarves, and a hat. He seems to have fun doing this. It feels like learning but with more fun involved. 
The material has him sorting and matching different objects a lot. This week, I placed a line of our shoes out and he matched the sequence with the other pair. 
As it was "B" week, we made banana bread. He had a good time helping open bananas and put the ingredients together in the bowl. He even used the mixer by himself (with me holding the very end of it). We tried a new recipe (Trisha Yearwood one) and it was pretty good. The particular site I got it from recommended a "streusel" lining, but it turned out that it burned the bottom of the bread to the pan. So, we ate bottomless banana bread. 

I also found a book at the DI that has him counting to 100 by 5s using Reese's Pieces. It is fun, like the Cheerios books, but I think it's too early to expect him to have an attention span beyond maybe 40. 
We worked on writing the letters A and B tonight. I am thinking of looking into "Handwriting Without Tears", maybe it can teach me some tricks to help him write letters more legibly. I know it's not super important yet, but I think it frustrates him anyway. 





No comments:

Post a Comment