Friday, September 5, 2014

Week one of 2014

This week, we were in Seattle at the beginning so homeschool was already off to a rocky start. I'm the kind of person who needs to get into a kind of rut on doing something that needs to be done daily. If I fall out of that rut, it is SO hard for me to get back on it. 

Jace and I practiced some tic tac toe. I like to think it helps him learn to plan ahead, and there is some counting to it as well. He learns across, down, and diagonal.
While he and I did that, Remi scribbled in a coloring book nearby. I love scribbling with children. You can see their coloring get more purposeful over time. I tell her what colors she is using and point out objects in the page she is using. 
We borrowed a box of colored bears from the local resource building, Family Information and Resource Center (or FIRC). It comes with some pages of patterns for Jace to copy and fill in a box with what bear he thinks comes next. There are also some math cards, but he is not quite to that age yet. 
Some other things we did this week were learning about air travel (which worked out well, as we were flying to and from Seattle), how to hop on one foot (he's unsteady, but can do it while holding onto the couch), and we set up the idea of what manners are. They'll be introduced to him one at a time over the year. 

I found an app for my iPad that allows me to write a list of chores for him to do. i can set point values for the chores and create a rewards list for him to use the points on. He also earns a ticket to the "monster carnival" within the game, though he's yet to win anything from it. Hopefully it will help him do more around the house. We got kind of lax over the summer. 





No comments:

Post a Comment